Service and Mission OpportunitiesJoin us to make a difference in our community and world
- Community Garden: Behind our building lives the Walnut Hills Garden of Faith, Food, and Learning, which is a joint venture between our congregation and the Chin Christian Church, a congregation of Burmese refugees who live in the Clive area. Established in 2016, members can choose a plot to garden. For questions, reach out to email@example.com.
- Family Promise: Four times a year, we provide food and shelter for families experiencing homelessness. The families are served through Family Promise of Greater Des Moines. We transition our classroom space to be set up as a home for the families for the week. We need volunteers to provide hot meals, and necessary supplies; also evening hosts, overnight hosts and drivers to take them back and forth to their day center. If you would like to make a connection and help support Family Promise and families in need, Contact Kim Roby at firstname.lastname@example.org
- DMARC (Des Moines Area Religious Council): The mission of DMARC is to work together to meet basic human needs for the greater Des Moines community – and that includes everyone. They strive to provide healthy, culturally appropriate food through our Food Pantry Network and welcome all those who need assistance, no matter their circumstances. Walnut Hills collects food and personal items throughout the year and goes to their facilities to help sort food. Watch the weekly bulletin and worship announcements for more information.
- Habitat for Humanity: Members often participate in Habitat for Humanity builds in our community. Listen to announcements for more details.
- CFUM (Children & Family Urban Movement): Members of Walnut Hills UMC provide food and serve 150+ people from the CFUM program at Trinity United Methodist Church in Des Moines on the third Tuesday of each month. Contact Troy Wirtz at email@example.com.
- Social Justice Committee: We seek to address Social Justice in the context of the Christian faith, to inform members about social justice issues and encourage all of us to act justly. We meet quarterly or as needed. Contact Jean Swenson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reconciling Ministries: We work to create acceptance of all God’s children regardless of sexual orientation. Contact Christy Brown at email@example.com.
- AMOS (A Mid-Iowa Organizing Strategy): A community organizing network composed of 38 diverse member organizations – churches (including Walnut Hills), synagogues, neighborhood and non-profit organizations – that represent thousands of residents in the Des Moines and Ames communities. If you are interested in more information, contact Connie McKeen, at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at amosiowa.org.
- Needles of Love: If you can sew or would like to learn to sew (by hand or machine), we need you. If you can cut or iron fabric or tie a knot, your help is needed. If you want to learn these skills, you are welcome. We love to teach anyone who wants to learn so the art of sewing and quilting will flourish. Contact Evelyn Varley at email@example.com or Phyllis Peterson at Petetwodot@yahoo.com.
- Congregational Care Team: The Congregational Care Team provides an opportunity to extend hospitality and service to those in need. Often those in our midst may be experiencing life circumstances where they need the love and support of our church family. We are dedicated to finding ways to show them the love of Christ. For more information contact Peggy Palmer-Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stephen Ministry: Lay members who have been trained as “listeners.” Stephen’s Ministers are called upon to provide support for members experiencing life changing events, working in concert with our pastor. Contact Mel Hollingsworth or the pastor.
- Ushers/ Greeters – Welcome Team
- Coffee and snack providers
- Worship Tech
- Office Help
Please contact the office for more information on the contact form.